Saturday, November 30, 2013

BBW Candles

They say that scent is the strongest sense tied to memory. It is no wonder then that I associate certain candle fragrances with Christmas. Since I worked at Bath and Body Works during the holiday season, their candles are holiday essentials in my house.
My favorite of their candles is “Winter.” When I was young, my mom had a set of figural candles shaped like Santa, Mrs. Claus, a snowman, and a sleigh and they smelled exactly like “Winter.” I will forever associate that scent with Christmas, and although I keep stocked with enough of these candles so that I won’t run out, I refuse to light them after the holiday season.
Another that I really love is “Fireside” which smells just like a wood-burning fireplace in action. Although we have a fireplace, it is convenient and comforting to just light a candle.
They also have a scent called “Cranberry Woods” which has a less positive connotation for me. When I worked at BBW, I got sick one night we were doing a floorset, when we re-arranged the store for a new promotion. I had all the flu-like symptoms: chills, sweating, queasy stomach, and fatigue. But I couldn’t just leave, so I stuck it out and began re-arranging the candle tables which seemed to get heavier by the hour. Unluckily for me, I didn’t realize that the original set-up was like a teeter-totter and when I cleared one side, the other side was too heavy to stand on its own, and dozens of candles crashed down onto the floor. The majority of the broken ones were “Cranberry Woods” and the scent flooded the store, and my face turned about as red as the wax.
RADIO: Cinnamon Bear “Weary Willie”, Jump Jump and the Ice Queen “Tim Meets Jump Jump”, Jonathan Thomas and his Christmas on the MoonJonathan Promises to Find Santa”
MOVIE: I saw The Holiday for the first time this year, and I immediately fell in love with it. It has three things that I absolutely love: Kate Winslet, old movie references, and Christmas. How could I not enjoy it?
It’s about two women who are ready to get over the men in their lives, so they swap houses and take a personal holiday. In doing so they meet new men.
If you’re looking for a way to ease into Christmas, look no further than this film. It is set during the Christmas season but it doesn’t knock you over the head with references. Instead, we’re treated to cozy visuals, a sweet love story, and characters who begin to care deeply for the strangers they meet. Get yourself a mug of hot chocolate and snuggle up in a blanket on the couch when you pop this DVD in. And don’t forget to light your favorite candle to complete the effect.
SONG: “I Wish it Could be Christmas Everyday” by All-Star United

GIFT MEMORY: At Bath and Body Works, we sold a large snowman luminary. It was adorable, mostly white with a red scarf and a silver top hat. I dubbed him “The Big Fat Snowman” and I wanted to buy one, but at $35 and with me trying to save money for my looming wedding, I couldn’t afford to splurge.
Then one day I came to work to prepare a floorset and saw that the snowmen were going to be 50% off at the start of the new week. Darina, one of my co-workers, also had had her eye on the snowman but didn’t feel right treating herself, so we devised a plan. We couldn’t buy things for ourselves, but we could buy gifts. I prayed no one would buy all of them, and they didn’t. On Monday, I came into work on my day off to meet Darina as we purchased our snowmen, and then exchanged them as gifts. We laughed and made a show of the ceremony, gave each other big hugs, and went on our way with our prizes. (That’s one of the great things about Christmas; even the silliest of things are more fun.)
I proudly exhibit my snowman each year with various holiday fragrances burning inside. It is still one of my favorite decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment